Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Final Collaborative Website: Digital Imaging & Web

During most and even outside of our groups meetings, I volunteered to contribute toward helping to move our group project forward. For the first meeting I drew an entity-relationship diagram to divide the departments website into much more user-friendly categories, recognizing when a webpage may serve multiple purposes and which web-pages may link back to that page. For example, between my proposed directories for (Prospective Students) and the (About Us) department description, I identified that creating separate pages for the Undergraduate Program and the Graduate Program would be shared between these directories, along with creating a page for a map which would identify the departments location. Between (Prospective Students) and (Current Students,) web-pages for course descriptions and course schedules, along with each program’s degree requirements web-pages would be hyper-linked from each divisions pages.

Prior to our groups meeting with the department staff, I transcribed at least a paragraph of this entity-relationship diagram into our group’s Final Project Proposal, along with creating a simpler entity-relationship diagram with Microsoft Word. During the meeting I explained how there was too much information on some of the web-pages and suggested creating separate web-pages, along with creating a landing page specifically for the Russian Department, based on the College of Computing and Informations website pages. While Professor Hilde Hoogenboom liked my proposal to create a web-page describing the program’s history, mission, and message from the Department Chair, along with my proposals to create more user-friendly web-pages, the Assistant to the Chair rejected my proposals along with most proposals made by group members.

After this meeting I discussed with Professor Hoogenboom in her office about all of our group’s rejected proposals which she showed interest and might reconsider, I mentioned this to members of my group, which led to our decision to create (mock) web-pages based on many of our suggestions. In reaction to two members not attending a Saturday night group meeting (after flying back from California the day after Thanksgiving so I could attend), and our not being able to start working on the project because four out of five members did not have the departments documentation, I met with Professor Hoogenboom to have my own copy of this documentation (in case group members did not have access to this information in the future) and to inform her of projects status. With supplemental documents in hand, I presented all of this to my group.

Prior to our December 1st, 2006 meeting, I offered to create a course-schedule web-page and suggested the creation of a webform page, to enable visitors to send online inquiries to the program. Integrating data retrieved from searching UAlbanys online course schedule with the departments more informative print schedule, I created a more comprehensive class schedule. During the December 1st meeting I created for Professor Charles Rouble a biography and courses web-page, along with transforming one of his syllabi and his Curriculum Vitae into PDF format. As Roger uploaded my group members documents, I transcribed my, David Wiltseys, Yi-Shan Sheis stream of consciousness, from our whiteboard outline of the two-page collaborative essay.

While I was upset with Eugenias forgetting about two group meetings (in particular the Saturday night after Thanksgiving), I forgave her after demonstrating the amount of effort and time Eugenia dedicated to creating web-pages and with coordinating the creation of this project. Rogers cognizance of designing web-sites and pages, along with his advanced computer skills absolutely amazed me, as he coordinated the uploading of all our groups mock web-site pages. Yi-Shans and Daves applying their artistic and web-page design skills to the creation of all the remaining web-pages was incredibly helpful, and I greatly appreciate their volunteering to create the web-form page I suggested, after I discovered that I did not have enough time to complete it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home