Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Page 6: Creative Commons (and Duplicates)




While the Creative Commons is an innovative approach for a work’s creator to determine the extent of how his / her work may be used by others (duplicated), these licenses do not provide the same legal protections which are provided by filing a copyright. However, by work’s creator selecting a license specifying how various may be permitted to use or reproduce his / her original work (whether images, sound files, and other forms of digitized media), a free alternative form of protection is applied to digital works in this rapidly changing online environment. Yet inserting the Creative Commons button does not insure that people will not improperly utilize (duplicate) the work, since this is a completely voluntary resource and the Creative Commons Corporation disclaimer states that they do not provide legal services for utilizing this public license.

I chose the Attribution – Non Commercial 2.5 License because I intended to permit other individuals to (duplicate) copy, distribute, display, and to make derivative works based on my papers as they attribute their authority to me and my papers. Yet, I did not permit others to use (duplicate) any of my written works for commercial purposes, especially my review of library automation systems. However, I converted all of my research papers and writings from a word-processed format to a PDF (Portable Document Format) file, to make the copying of text from any paper and pasting the text into an individuals word-processor incredibly difficult. This included scanning two of my actual graded papers (I did not have the original file) and then Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional converting these digitized images into a PDF format.

For this assignment I purely utilized Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004 to create the canvas, the layers, and the buttons with the rollover property. Each button location (the same button was copied and pasted) had three button appearances (text statements) for when the button was in the up position, the mouse was over the button, and for when the button was pressed down. I pasted the designated URL for each specific PDF document (all located in the images6 folder) into the referring URL link field for Macromedia Fireworks. However, a minor problem I discovered after creating this page was that the moment a button was pressed down (to read what the button states in this final position), Adobe Acrobat is launched making it incredibly hard to read what buttons state in the down position.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dustin said...

Charles,

I like your web page #6 assignment. The page looks nice and functions well. The links to your research papers in pdf files is a cool feature.

I really like the idea of integrating all of your work into one site and one place for both easy access (for you and others), and so to better preserve those items; having them stored in yet another format--this time, the web--is always a good safeguard. And with that trusty Creative Commons License hopefully any foulplay will be deterred somewhat.

One other note: it's a cool idea because now you can refer people interested in a little bit of what you are learning and writing in school to this page (even employers) and they can get a little taste of your work.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home